I'm convinced that one of the best things about being a parent is reliving your boyhood or girlhood memories through your children. Nothing brings back the joy of summers passed, the thrill of Christmases years ago, or the simple bliss that is an ice cream cone, like watching your little one experience it.
This weekend, MJ got to take a crawl in his Daddy's footsteps when we visited Pinecrest. As a child, Ted spent countless summer days fishing, swimming, and hiking around Pinecrest at his family's cabin - just like his mother did before him, and her father did before her. In fact, MJ is the 5th generation in the Mettier/Wolter family to make the trek!
As far as childhood summer spots go, Pinecrest is pretty darn close to perfection. It's not too far away - just a short road trip. It's not too hot - the mountains and trees of the Stanislaus forest provide a nice shield from the Valley's stagnant summer heat. But best of all, Pinecrest is delightfully simple. It's a little bit rustic, a little bit comfortable, and a little bit dirty - perfect for little boys!
Here's MJ enjoying an al fresco dinner on the porch.

Cody, Uncle Hal and Aunt Anne Marie's dog, provided the perfect companion.
When we realized we'd forgotten MJ's chair/exerciser, Grandma Lynn improvised with a nearby cooler.

It was a hit!

The cooler made an excellent beach and boat-viewing post as well.

Here's MJ enjoying the beach with Daddy.

And dipping his toes in the water.

It's too cold! I think I'll just hang out with Grandma.

Or take a ride with Daddy.

But one of the things I love most about family traditions is the way they become simple, time-tested rights of passage. Like the Pinecrest door jam: Inscribed in fading pen and pencil markings are the measurements of all the Mettier and Wolter clan as children. (For the record, Ted surpassed my height at about age 12. Nice.)
And now, it's MJ's turn! Here is Daddy, seeing how his little boy measures up.

Labeling the date and initials...


It's official!

All in all, it was a great weekend. I can hardly wait to get back next summer and make more memories. Because before I know it, MJ will be adding his own little one's measurements on the door jam...

No comments:
Post a Comment