Monday, April 9, 2012

Happy Easter!

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead..1 Peter 1:3

It's that time of year again! No, I'm not talking about Master's Sunday (although my husband would beg to differ), but Easter!

This being MJ's second Easter, I was eager to develop some wonderful traditions with him...like Easter egg hunting, eating treats, and wearing embarrassing bunny ears. But, while he was slightly more interested this year than last, I must admit he's probably another Easter away from really getting the concept.

Truth be told, what I really can't wait for is for MJ to grasp the true meaning of Easter Sunday. No, not the chocolate bunnies, egg dying, and treasure hunts in the backyard, but the real meaning. The fact that God loved him so much, he sent his only son to die for his sins. And the even more amazing fact that Jesus not only died, but rose again.

You think that's too much for a kid to grasp? I respectfully beg to differ.

Every time I see parents of preschoolers glossing over the powerful meaning of our Easter holiday in favor of the fun stuff that they think their children will really care about, I'm reminded of the time my little brother blew us all away with his tender and sweet understanding of our Father's amazing gift.

He was probably just six, definitely no more than eight or nine, and was asked to name his favorite holiday. Everyone expected him to answer Christmas. After all, what better day could there be for a child than a day full of presents, gluttony, candy, and indulgence after indulgence? What's more, I'd already answered Christmas (what an awesome example I was) and had planted the idea in his head.

So he surprised us when he answered, "Easter."

Why? Someone asked, not Christmas?

"Well, because without Easter there would be no Christmas."

Now, I'm not saying that he wasn't thinking at all about the joys of Christmas and how much he loved it. Still, even as a little one, he was able to understand that without the miraculous events of Resurrection Sunday, Christmas would be just another day without the meaning it has today. After all, the glory isn't just that our Savior was born, but that he died and also rose again.

Given that MJ still doesn't know his elbow from ear, this concept is probably a little too lofty for him to grasp. But I hope it won't be long!

Until then, we'll settle for the more light hearted traditions of the springtime holiday.

So, without further delay are some pictures from our very fun day!

First, we were graced by a visit from the lovely Miss Becca, my most favorite niece.

How cute is she?




Next, after getting the ham in the oven and the glaze made, I took MJ out for an Easter egg hunt.

Here he comes!



Night-night hippo came with him for moral support. Lately, he goes nowhere without Night-Night Hippo, even though his name would suggest a more restricted purpose.

I started with just four eggs, guessing that he'd lose interest quickly. What I didn't anticipate was how hard it would be to get him interested in the first place. I had to steal Night-Night Hippo and place him in the lawn to tempt him to come over.

That's mine, Mommy!



Eventually I convinced him to notice an egg and put it in the basket.



But taking out the confetti was far more fun.





This stuff is awesome, Mom!

WEEEEEEEE!



And then, I was back to square one. He lost interest.



So, I showed him how to open the eggs, thinking the treat inside would encourage him to gather them. Knowing that MJ doesn't like candy, I opted for a better treat.



Yum, Fig Newtons from Grandma Dub inside!






This worked for a while.







Until he went to go eat some of his spoils in the sunny deck.



And got distracted by his most favorite thing ever. Dirt.



Soon, MJ was covered in dirt and Fig Newton - one sticky, grimy, and dusty mess.

Luckily, Night-Night Hippo didn't care.



Still, we managed to corral him back onto the lawn for some more photos with Daddy.



How adorable!





This is all I need in my Easter basket. :) It's already overflowing with joy...

No comments:

Post a Comment