Monday, January 28, 2013
MJ's Two Year Update
Technically, MJ turned two years old two months ago. But hey, better late than never, right?
Besides, the most important part of the update are the Bean Stats and we didn't get them until yesterday because we were two months late dragging his little butt to the pediatrician for his check-up. We'd originally had an appointment scheduled for two days after Christmas. But, for some reason, I thought MJ was due for vaccinations and I didn't want to deal with a crabby, tired, post-Christmas two year old at our second Christmas that happens every year around New Years Eve. So, I postponed it.
As it turns out, MJ wasn't due for any vaccinations - just the semi-annual "Are you sure you don't want to vaccinate him for Chicken Pox?" and "What about Hepatitis A?" conversation. Yes, I'm sure. Thank you.
To make this conversation even more uncomfortable, I wasn't at the appointment this time. I was at home puking my guts out (I was soooooooooooooo sick the other day! Wow!) So, poor Daddy had to shove away the needles and tell the nurse, "I don't know. I'll ask my wife." Good, Daddy. :)
Before sending him off, I'd warned Ted to bring extra books and toys. There's something about the doctor's office that makes our normally busy boy turn up the volume five times. He's a maniac in the doctor's office. I don't really know why, but he cannot sit still. Not even for 1.5 seconds.
He bounces on the stairs by the fish tank. He tries to turn off the lights in the waiting room (why are these at child-height? Um, hello????). He tries to run down the hall into the nurses' lounge.
Once you're in the actual exam room, it doesn't get much better.
He bounces on the exam table. He rumples up the hygiene paper that covers the table. He tries to climb off, or jump off, or roll off said table. He attempts to reach the eye and ear monitor on the wall and pull out all the little plastic covers that go over the implement. He tries to crawl up the mirror, lick it, spit on it, smack it, break it, etc.
It. Is. Unreal.
Despite my warning, I'm not sure Ted was fully prepared. Even the nurse who he saw instead of his regular pediatrician (she's on maternity leave), remarked "Wow, isn't he really a busy one?"
Yeah, welcome to our world!
Nevertheless, the exam went well and MJ passed with flying colors.
So, without further delay, here are the latest round of Bean Stats:
Height: 35 inches, 50th percentile
Weight: 26 lbs 4 oz., 25th percentile
Head: 19.25 inches, 50th percentile
This means since his last appointment more than six months ago, MJ has gained a measly two pounds. I figured as much. This explains why I can't keep his size two pants up around his scrawny little waist. You'd think I never feed him. (I do, by the way.)
I was also interested to see that MJ's height growth has slowed. He started at out 90th percentile at birth but has typically hovered between 70 and 85th percentile since then. Lately, he's just looked "petite" to me. I'd noticed he was no longer the tallest kid in the church nursery or at preschool. Several of my friends had noted that he was just so cute and little. And yes, he is. Perhaps there are some of my genes hiding in there, after all!
On the development front, the questions have slowed down. At this point, most kids can do the "big" things like walk, talk, etc., and it becomes more a question of social and intellectual skills that they're mastering.
Between the flyer the pediatrician sent home, Google, and a few of my Mommy books - I was able to stack up MJ's development against the norm.
Talking - Can use 2-3 word sentences. Yup.
Gross Motor - Can walk, run, and jump. Yup, yup, and yup.
Fine Motor - Can string three beads. Yup. Can draw a shape with a crayon (um, does a scribble count?) Can stack 5-8 blocks. Yup, try 10.
Social - Refers to himself by name. Yup. Sometimes he refers to Daddy by name, too. :) Recognizes family members in photos. Yup.
They didn't ask about all the cool things that MJ knows, but I'd like to brag a bit anyway. I am a Mom, after all! MJ knows all his letters, about a quarter to a third of his phonic sounds, and all of his numbers 1 -10. He can count to ten no sweat and, on a good day, he can count to 20. He knows all his colors, his shapes, his body parts, and the names of most major pieces of construction equipment. :)
He's also got some skills that I'm not as excited about. He can climb out of his crib. He's only done it once (thank God!), but still. And, just the other day he demonstrated that he knows how to open a closed doorknob. Super. Time to get some baby proof door handles installed! And, he can climb, climb, climb. Pretty much nothing is out of reach at this point.
And yes, he's definitely "two". He likes to show us how loudly he can object when he doesn't get his way and he's not crazy about being told "no".
Still, he is one of the most bright, curious, busy, and interesting children I've ever seen. I adore his little face, his tiny hands, his big brown eyes, and his chubby (although not as much anymore) cheeks. I love his cuddles, his snuggles, and his hugs. I love it when he says "Love you, Mommy" and I can't wait for the day when he says it unprompted by Daddy.
All in all, I love MJ and I love being his Mommy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

YAY! Go MJ!
ReplyDelete