Sooo.... I realize it's almost summer, but I'm just now getting to my Easter post. Immediately after Easter I skipped town for a long weekend to visit my newborn niece (adorable!!!) and then I returned to a kitchen torn up by a remodel. Needless to say it's been a bit busy around here!
And speaking of a kitchen remodel, did I mention that we tore out our kitchen? As in no fridge, microwave, stove, or sink? And that it was slated to be torn out over the Easter holiday? The one we wanted to host?
Enter the Easter Picnic.
Because we'd be sans kitchen, we knew we weren't going to be able to host a traditional brunch or lunch. But we also didn't want to miss out on gathering with family and friends and hosting one of our most favorite holidays.
We were all set to just pass this year, when I suddenly said to my husband, "Why not have a picnic in the backyard? Like with baskets and sandwiches and everything."
He loved the idea. Which was good, because the party planning wheels in my head were already spinning.
Living in California, we tend to entertain outdoors quite a bit. Our backyard is sizable, and full of towering Redwood trees, but it lacked a central spot to gather under their shade. So, last year, we had our contractor build us a basic outdoor "gazebo" of sorts inspired by this. It was completed in late fall, but we hadn't had a chance to use it yet. Until now.
To get it ready for showtime, my husband put up hooks and I made basic drop cloth curtains (so much sturdier and cheaper!). Because I like everything to match, I did sew two basic panels (from fabric found on sale at Hobby Lobby) to frame the front. They cost me all of $28. I figure I can keep the drop cloth curtains most of the time and swap out front panels on the cheap to coordinate with the season or holiday.
To get it ready for showtime, my husband put up hooks and I made basic drop cloth curtains (so much sturdier and cheaper!). Because I like everything to match, I did sew two basic panels (from fabric found on sale at Hobby Lobby) to frame the front. They cost me all of $28. I figure I can keep the drop cloth curtains most of the time and swap out front panels on the cheap to coordinate with the season or holiday.
I love how it turned out!

I tied the curtains with matching ribbon. And hung a Happy Easter banner over head. The letters are removable (from Hobby Lobby) so I can do different messages all year long. LOVE.
For the tables, I just set them with rented white linens and a burlap runner I found on clearance. I put mason jars down the center with flowers we had already growing in our backyard.
A basket was set at each place setting, awaiting a hungry guest!
Inside each basket was a completely kitchen-free meal. :) As it turned out, our appliances weren't actually removed until Monday - but since we had to clear the fridge and shelves and pack it all away, the picnic menu ended up being perfect.
We served ham and Brie sandwiches, and an orzo salad with roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts, and kettle chips. For dessert, my mother-in-law brought a lovely strawberry cake! Yum!



To wash it all down, we had lemonade. I love using these little French milk bottles (plastic!) that I bought for MJ's second birthday party. I think I've repurposed them four times now and they always look adorable!
The lemonade was a hit!
It was a really fun, relaxing afternoon. We even had live music courtesy of my Uncle Chuck. It felt very chic indeed. :)
Of course, the next day I realized that I'd forgotten to give out these cute little favors that I made.
But that's what happens when you stay up 'til midnight sewing new outdoor curtains. C'est la vie!
Here are some cute shots of my boys enjoying all that Easter has to offer!






















amazing!! cant believe you just threw that all together in the midst of kitchen reno. its so clear how much you enjoy doing this stuff, its lovely to see the pleasure it brings - to all the family too :)
ReplyDeleteYou are truly gifted!!! Need your genius for my wedding. Hint Hint LOL as if you aren't already busy enough!! - Erica xoxoxoxo
ReplyDelete