Thursday, January 8, 2015

Project 52: Week One

Have you heard of Project 52? It's a challenge to take and share a photo every week for a year. There are a million ways to do it: Some take weekly photos of their family, their children, their pets, or nature.  I first came across it a few years back and have always admired the growth I see in the photographers, the memories they capture, and the discipline it produces. But, I was never in a place to participate.

Until now!

With a new camera, a new lens, and a new photography venture (check out my work here), I knew this year was the right time to dive into Project 52. Then, when my good friend and fellow photographer from Taylor Johnson Photography announced she was leading a Project 52 group challenge, including weekly theme prompts, I decided it would be great fun to play along.

Every week, Taylor is going to share a theme for inspiration. Then, I'll interpret it with my lens and my boys. I'll be sharing my images here on my blog, and on Facebook. At the end of the year, I'll combine the photographs into a book.

The first week's theme was new. I chose to be more figurative in my representation. What's new in this image isn't the location, the activity, or even the toys. It's the light. Like many newer photographers, I've traditionally shot in even light because it's more flattering and easier to work with. But there is drama, passion, and beauty in the sun. And this photographer is determined to conquer it.

Here is my submission, New Light, shot in the early afternoon sun.


I love how the light filters in through the trees and washes over the boys. And how in contrast to the bright and noisy sun, they are caught in a rare moment of quiet. But what I love most about this image is I could have never captured it even six months ago. Growth and progress are a beautiful thing!

Here are some additional images in this week's theme, all shot in varying degrees of sunlight.












 See you next week!


1 comment:

  1. fantastic jennie, i know you will enjoy the growth and challenge of project 52 - and especially the book of memories at the end! remember along the way it's YOUR project and you make the rules so feel free to tweak them along the way as real life happens too xx

    ReplyDelete