Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Evan's 4 Month Update


We made it! Little Evan is finally 4 months old. In some ways it feels like it's taken forever for this milestone to arrive. But in others it feels like just a blink of an eye. Such is the life of a mother, I suppose.

As I've said before, this is where it gets good. This is where babyhood (and all the fun!) begins! We have so much to look forward to: making baby food, messy bites of food, crawling, first steps, first words...I can hardly wait to start building memories!

But this moment is not without some emotion. We can't enter into the next phase of infancy without leaving the present one behind. And while I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm sad to see the newborn days go, there is a certain tinge of bittersweetness to it. For there are some things that I will miss...

Like the Baby Zombie dance - that funny, robotic way that babies move their arms straight out in front of themselves before they gain true limb control.

Or the Ninja Hands - that's Evan's version of the Moro Reflux (which causes newborns to startle and throw their hands into the air). MJ's was far more dramatic, but Evan just flings his hands ever-so-slightly into a karate type pose before resettling.

And the in-arms naps – the days of Evan falling asleep in my arms are quickly coming to a close. And, unlike MJ, Evan won't co-sleep for naps. So, once he loses the ability to nap in my lap, it will likely be gone forever. It's a sweet memory I will cherish.

Luckily for me, my little guy is staying little longer than expected. At 4 months, Evan weighs in at a whopping 12 lbs 5 oz. And he measures just 23 1/4 inches. That's only the 10th percentile for both height and weight! He's pretty much the same size that MJ was at half his age.

I love it! I love that he's so small and squishy. I love that he's so tiny and snuggly. When I pick him up, he literally melts into my arms. It's the best.

Now, Evan may be tiny, but he has a big personality! He's such a flirt! I'll be holding him, stirring my coffee, checking an email, or doing any number of tasks that might take my attention away from him. Suddenly he'll catch my eye, I'll look down, and there he'll be – smiling, and cooing, and making eyes at me as if to say, "I'm so adorable; I bet you can't keep your eyes off me!"

And when he's not flirting, he's making noise. A lot. He gurgles and giggles and gaggles and coos. He gargles and chatters and chirps.

Talk. Talk. Talk.

You wouldn't believe how much noise can come from someone so little! He's far more "talkative" than MJ ever was at this age and I'm betting he'll be a chatterbox when he gets older.

I love watching his little personality come out. I love watching him start to explore the world and become more independent. I love watching his preferences and dislikes develop, each one a little hint into the person he's becoming.

So, here's to the next four months, Evan! I can't wait to see what they hold!


No comments:

Post a Comment