Growing up, my siblings and I were as different as can be. But there was always one thing we agreed upon: Mom's homemade manicotti is the best meal ever. Seriously. It's pasta stuffed with flavorful, juicy ground beef, garlic, and cheese, cheese, and more cheese. Slather all that with marinara sauce and more cheese and some spices....are you drooling yet? I am.
So when I got married and was finally the queen of my own kitchen, priority number one was mastering Mommy's manicotti. I made it for company, always to compliments. I brought it to every new mother I knew...and every one asked for the recipe. But I knew I'd finally perfected my favorite pasta when I served it to my skeptical younger brother (never a man to mince words) and he declared that I "didn't ruin it after all"....and then he ate three helpings more. :)
But now that I can't eat hardly any carbs, and certainly not white flour pasta, I'm missing my favorite dish. I would never dream of augmenting Mama's recipe to be "healthy", because I know it would never live up to the original. But surely there had to be a way to capture the flavors of manicotti in a meal I could actually eat and enjoy!
And, low and behold, I did it. I created an epic Manicotti Meatball! It's cheesy, flavorful, and perfectly spiced. Top it with some marinara sauce and a sprinkle of oregano and it hits the spot. Give it a try!
Manicotti Meatballs
1 lb ground turkey, lean
1/3 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 clove garlic, minced
3T shredded mozzarella cheese
1 T Italian seasonings
salt and pepper, freshly ground - about 3 turns of each
Toppers: Pasta or marinara sauce, dried oregano, shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place all ingredients in a bowl. Mix together with your hands until combined. Take a spoonful of mixture into your hand and roll into a ball. Place on a greased cookie sheet, lined with foil or parchment paper. You should have between 15 and 20 meatballs, depending on your preferred size.
(Optional: If you like to brown your meatballs first in a skillet with oil, do so at this point - just until browned on each side. I skip this because for the life of me I cannot brown a meatball, any meatball, without sticking and burning!!!! It's a culinary curse.)
Cook meatballs for 15-20 minutes, depending on size. (Note - these meatballs will run as the cheese melts in the oven! It's all good. They're still delicious, I promise...)To check for doneness, you can use a meat thermometer or simply cut into one and check to see if the juices run clear and the inside is no longer pink.
Top with pasta sauce, Parmesan and mozzarella, and dust with dried oregano. Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment