Monday, March 9, 2015

Project 52: Week Eight

We're two months into the Project 52 challenge and I must say I'm really loving it. It's forcing me to think creatively, to photograph regularly, and to be diligent and timely with my editing and posting….well, almost. I'm about a week behind on blogging my Project 52 themes and I will admit that this last week, I edited only one image for the theme. That's an all time low for me!

But I have a good reason. I've been super busy with client work for photography! I started building my portfolio for Jennie Blu Photography, a small side venture of mine, in November of last year. Slowly but surely I'm getting more experience, learning more and more, meeting new people, and taking on new challenges. In fact, this month, I'm booked every weekend. Wow!

It will probably take me a while to find the balance between photography for fun, photography for my family and Project 52, and photography for Jennie Blu - but I hope to get it right soon. And, since this week is a little light on images for the theme - head on over to my Facebook page to see what's been happening at Jennie Blu Photography. There's plenty of hugging happening over there, which is the theme for this week.

Now, without further delay, here is my submission for Week 8 of Project 52: "Brothers".



I won't lie. They don't hug often. And when they do, it's more like a knock-you-down-and-wrestle-you-until-someone-cries-or-bleeds kind of hug. But every now and then, they show genuine affection. I'm rarely lucky enough to catch it on camera, but I was already taking their picture here for another purpose (one of our monthly adventures!). So, when MJ gave Evan a little cuddle, I snapped away!

I love the stillness in this photograph. I love the quiet conversation their bodies seem to be having, and the subtle way their heads are turned in toward one another. I love the soft, golden light on Evan's tiny, babyish curls.

While this image speaks love, camaraderie, and brotherhood to me - the truth is 2.5 seconds after the shutter snapped open and close, they were fighting over a grape and that hug slipped into a headlock. Sigh. Such is life with two small boys. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I photograph so much - to preserve a fleeting moment. Because in our house, moments like this are very fleeting indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment