Sunday, June 14, 2015

Project 52: Week 14

The theme for Week 14 was "Play", which is quite possibly the most perfect theme for two rambunctious little boys. Their entire raison d'ĂȘtre is to play. It's how they learn, grow, explore, and create. In fact, they can't not play. It's what they do; it's who they are; and it's what they know.

This is normal. And to be protected. Because, as the great Mr. Rogers once said, "Play is the work of children."

I believe all of this to be true. I practice it. I embrace it.  But the rub comes when that play spills over into elements of our lives I'd prefer be a bit more orderly and calm. Like meals.

I cannot handle playing at the table. And yet, I battle it daily. Something about the table brings out the silly in my sons. They use their forks as swords and their spoons as bulldozers. They bang on the table and use their cups and plates as percussion instruments. They make terrible, gross noises and blow raspberries on the table.

It. Drives. Me. Nuts.

But it is also secretly adorable. Their laughter is contagious and their smiles so bright. Plus, it's one of the only times they truly play together without fighting or incident. And if I really think about it, fart noises are funny. When I step back from the scene and all the mothering I need to do, I can see it. Crazy and uncouth as it is, there are brotherly bonds being formed over there.

And so, I instituted a new rule. Where there is neither food or adults at the table, you may be as silly as you please. But the moment that meal time comes, silly time is done. I can't say it's suddenly solved our struggles and produced perfect table manners, but it's helping.

And it also created moments of pure joy like this:

"Short Order Silly"

And that's worth something to me.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love that quote - I think Maria Montessori said it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right! I've seen it attributed to both...

      Delete