Sunday, June 28, 2015

Project 52: Week 15

The theme for Week 15 of Project 52 was "beautiful". Easy, right? There are so many things about my children that are stunningly and amazingly beautiful.

Their deep brown eyes and those impossibly long lashes.

Their chubby cheeks, so soft and kissable.

Their little hands. Squishy and tender, with plenty of dirt under the finger nails.

Their smiles. Beaming, bright, and unbridled. Such a delight to see!

And it's not just their physical beauty. There's the way they laugh, the way they play, and the way they learn. Their faith in me, their love for each other, and their sweet innocence.

With so many options to capture, it seemed nearly impossible to narrow it down. So I decided to turn the challenge on its head. I decided to take the one thing about young childhood that pains my eyes (and my patience!) more than anything else and choose to see it in a new and different light.

Yes, I'm talking about the mess. The toys everywhere, constant chaos, piles of laundry, unorganized playroom, mismatched clothing, mess. If ever there was a way to see it as beautiful, I knew my lens would find it.

And so I searched...

Here is my submission: "A Beautiful Mess"


And a few more….




I'm glad I did. No, the photograph doesn't take away the mess and the clutter. It doesn't suddenly reorganize my home or sweep the chaos under the rug. It just refocuses me. It draws my eyes to what really matters. Because in the middle of that mess is something truly beautiful: My children. And what surrounds them isn't some great offense, it's just a sign that they are learning, growing, and enjoying life. 

Do I wish they were better at cleaning it up? Yes. Do I wish it were easier, simpler, and faster to teach them to do so? Absolutely yes. But I'm challenging myself daily to look at that mess not with the tired, impatient eyes of a mother - but rather with the refined eye of an artist. Because then I can see it for what it truly is: A wonderful and beautiful blessing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment